Thursday, December 6, 2007

Reflecting...Maybe I got it from Matamore

I remember during Screwed audition January this year, I read. And when I say read, I meant just read. Coming from a public speaking background, I knew a thing or two about the delivery of words, but nuts about acting. I've been fascinated by theatre for a few years, as part of an audience, but I can't remember why, early this year I just felt like becoming involved in it as an actor. I was enthralled nevertheless to stage manage for Screwed, which I couldn't do in the end, because of other commitments (i.e. exams breathing down my neck). My first acting job (which I got slightly before the Screwed audition) was done in a very hentam saja lah fashion because like I said, I had no idea what to do.

Then came Joe Hasham's Acting for Beginners. There, I didn't just learn acting skills like interpreting scripts and voice projection but also transferable skills like focus, discipline and respect. His class was not comprehensive, after all it was just one session a week for 10 weeks, but it provided me with a strong foundation for which I am grateful.

Then came Tunku the Musical, a couple of made-for-TV movies, a Malay play, five short films, and now, The Illusion...

I remember viewing kakiseni in Australia and dreading the fact that I won't be able to make it to the auditions for this play. Then Kelvin contacted me, with the suggestion that I audition online.

And so I did: www.youtube.com/ismahusein

Some of you have heard of these videos from Kelvin... "Drama..!! She was on the floor and all!!" :P Anyway, there was supposed to be 2 Isabelles and 2 Lyses but for some reason only one of the Lyses got uploaded.

Besides wanting to know what it is like being in a full-length play like this one, I thought it'd be very nice for me to end my year with Oral Stage, since I started the year with it. :)

And with my exams coming nearer, this play is the last one for me till middle of next year. Damn it, I'm feeling sad already. I don't want it to end!

Oh well... as if time would stop for me...7 days till opening night!!

No comments: